Thursday, October 1, 2009

3 Strikes And You're Out!



Since I moved down to the big city of Los Angeles just two years ago I have not met any quality Christian men. I have had some trouble finding a church to feel settled in but finally after many other attempts I have found one that seems to be working out. The church has a huge young career group of 200 or so people my age. You would think with all these single people that my chances of meeting a guy would go up but wouldn't you know that the guys in the group are known for never asking the girls out. It is sort of a running joke. Of course that is the church I would settle on, right? I've been meeting a lot of new people and feeling like I have a home there with the exception of not being able to get involved with the worship team there. It is worse than trying to break into Hollywood with all the incredibly talented individuals who flock to L.A. and would love the chance to sing in front of a congregation where 80% of the members are in the entertainment industry. I on the other hand do not want to be seen, I just want to lead worship.

Besides the worship things have gone well enough there that I asked the young career pastor if I could be a part of leadership for the group. He invited me to their all day planning meeting last Saturday and I happily attended. Well, there was one other new leadership member at the meeting and that is where my story of the day begins.

As I walked in the room I was quickly greeted by a tall handsome guy (We'll call him Jake). When I say tall I am talking 6'7" tall. I have always said I wanted a tall man but whoa! Jake was new like me and didn't really know anyone. Besides being very tall and attractive his eagerness to get involved in leadership and serve where ever there was a need peaked my interest. Something I find very attractive in a man is the leadership quality. Someone who takes on responsibilities they don't necessarily need to.

The day went on and he an I were both put in the small groups group since that is where there was the biggest need. After many hours of talking and coming up with ideas we decided to take a break and all drive to Starbucks for a afternoon jolt. We all started cramming in cars and it looked like most were already full. I was ready to turn around to take my own car when Jake called out to me,

"Hey Kaydence! Want to ride in my car with me?"

Hmm, do I want to ride just the two of us in your car? Alone?

"Sure!"

I started to make my way over to his car when this type A, outgoing, actress called out to us,

"What are you doing?! There are two seats in our car!"

I'm pretty sure I growled out loud at her exclamation. She most likely had the best of intentions but in that moment I hated her with a fiery passion. Doesn't she realize that I haven't met a good guy in over two years?! So I moped over to the car where I squished into the middle seat with Jake and then sat quietly as Jake and Type A talked about college football, something I know nothing about. I was so wishing I actually went to a college with a good football team at that moment. STRIKE ONE

After we finished our meeting the leader took us all out to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We had to wait for quite a while since we were a big group and eventually I found myself in a small cluster of people with Jake. I had my opening and I began to ask Jake more about himself and what he did for a living. Turns out he works just two blocks from my work. At that revelation Jake exclaimed,

"We should totally hang out sometime since we are so close,"

As the shock of what he had just proposed wore off I began to reply. I barely got a yes out before someone was shouting that our table was ready and the moment was lost. All I could get out was a half hearted "Yea..."that sounded more like a brush off than an enthusiastic "Yes! I would love to hang out with you sometime!" We made our way over to our table and some other girls swooped in and sat next to him at the table. "Grrrr...." STRIKE TWO

After dinner was done we all sat for a while at the table chatting. Jake had parked next to me so I was looking forward to walking out with him. My good girlfriend from small group was sitting next to me and she set off to the restrooms telling me that she would be right back. Of course as soon as she left everyone decided to leave. People were making there way to the door and there was Jake waiting to walk out with people. What to do?! I couldn't just leave my friend behind but there was my last chance with Jake. Well, I just couldn't ditch out on a friend so I stood back with a few others. It so obviously looked like I was trying not to walk out with him. He gave up and walked out with some of the guys. "GRRRRR...." Ugh, STRIKE THREE

The whole way home I kept reliving those failed opportunities in my head. He probably thinks I'm not interested. What to do? I'll just Facebook stalk him. Maybe if I find him it will show some interest. Or I will just look like a stalker. Why do these things always happen to me!! Again if I believed in luck I would believe I had the worst of it.

Updates to come the next time I see him next Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no...I cannot wait to hear about Tuesday. Make sure you ask him if he would like to get lunch or something since you work so close. Bring that up again and that will void all those strikes. He sounds wonderful. I like tall guys. My husband is 6'3! If I believed in luck I would say good luck. :) God has a plan:) Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh...love your story...I am sure if it is meant to be you will have oodles of opportunity to get to know him...wow he is a tall one! Looking forward to hearing more...Thanks a million for leaving a comment on my blog the other day...now I have found your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stop being such a good friend!!! ditch us all in the bathroom!! we can't give you a future of rose petals and babies!! seriously...DITCH US!

    ReplyDelete