Friday, October 2, 2009

My Thing - a post about purpose


Something got me thinking today. Well, I'm always thinking but I mean the thinking that leads to big revelations and realizations about your life. This morning I decided to check a blog I don't normally read. Something just drew me to her blog today and as I read it my name jumped out at me!

She had written a post about not being able to find her "thing." Something she excels at in life - something she is truly passionate about. She references two people she believed had found their "thing": one girl who was very smart and politically active and myself!! I have another blog that is dedicated to my passion: music. (Some of you may start connecting the dots...) She praised my music blog and my ability to find my "thing."

I read through so many of the comments from others who felt like they couldn't find their "thing" either. For some it was a constant struggle to find something they excelled at and others had just given up. That's when I made my first realization about why it is so hard to find our "thing" and even when we do we can become easily discouraged. I believe that when we are close to finding our "thing" that Satan wants to stop us. We aren't as vulnerable to his lies when we find our purpose and discover the gifts God has given ALL of us. I actually find encouragement in that fact. When we are on the right path that is when we are attacked the most. So find hope through those times!

My second realization came from wondering why I had found my "thing." I looked at several of the responses, many from my close friends, and I realized that all of the girls that couldn't find their "thing" had always had a man in their lives. As I observe these relationships I see these women finding purpose and identity in the men they are with. As a result they may not explore what their own passions are. This is not the case for everyone as there are no set rules for how things happen. As I look at myself I see how I have had 25 years to discover who I am independently of anyone else only accountable to God. I have been free to discover who I am and the gifts God has given me. A friend once told me that she was jealous of me because I had the opportunity to figure out who I am and that she had not because she had always had a boyfriend and was now married.

I may wish I had someone to share my life with but I would never give up this opportunity I have had to discover the gifts and purpose God has given me. I suppose there is more to discover as I am still very single with no light at the end of the tunnel.



No comments:

Post a Comment