Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pancake mix for one please? A ranting on something silly

Saturday is my favorite day of the week. I love sleeping in, going to the farmer's market for organic veggies, tuberoses and tamales. Most of all I love being able to take my time before rushing out the door. I get to take my time making my favorite meal of the day, breakfast.


Making pancakes from scratch with blueberries and/or bananas, fresh coffee and music playing is my ideal morning. This last Saturday started out well as it was the first morning in a long time that I have been able to do my little routine. I am in a new apartment with new roommates who seem to be up at 6 am even on Saturday and have already had breakfast and rearranged the furniture. Did I mention I am not a morning person? So then it was breakfast for one. I have been used to making breakfast for my family and prior roommates I was a little stumped on how to do it for just one person. 


Coffee first though, I need a clear head for measuring and mixing things. That took awhile due to the fact that I was using my roommates coffee pot where it grinds the beans for you. Well, with all its fancy features I forgot about a coffee filter! After the brewing had stopped I nervously looked inside. A three day old filter and grounds along with my new ones peered back at me. I wonder how much mold was on that grounds? Well, attempt two and I finally have it figured out. Oh, it smells so good! Next I looked at the smallest quantity on the pancake recipe. 11-12 pancakes!! I can usually only eat two and there is no way to half the recipe without halfing an egg and I couldn't see that really working out. Must I use the "just add water" mix because I'm cooking for one? Once you've had from scratch pancakes you just can't go back to that. 



My bittersweet blueberry pancakes and coffee


Well I refused and ended up with a huge bowl of leftover batter. Seems like a silly thing but all that left over batter represents the family I don't have. The husband and kids I would love to be able to cook for. I see all my friends with husbands and babies on the way and I am here alone on Saturday morning with my excess pancake batter. I am ridiculous I know. I hate Saturday mornings.

4 comments:

  1. Those look great and freeze the leftovers so you can have them another day. God knows the desires of your heart and HE will give you just that but in His timing. I know that is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that this post made me giggle? Not AT your situation just the ability to write it into reality. I adore you AND your huge bowl of leftover batter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time will come. Then you'll be aggrivated because you HAVE to cook for a brood in the morning. Personally not being a morning person myself I could do without making breakfast. But I understand what you are saying...your time will come:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farmgirl Paints, you are so right!! Be careful of what you wish for...

    ReplyDelete